If you have details about a boat you would like to see featured please email me.

We are seeking contributing authors to join us and post on a regular basis - see details scroll down the right hand column

Wednesday 11 May 2011

HMS Victory - Yawl Boat

Will Sterling from Tavistock in Devon, kindly sent details of this ship's boat which his company built for Nelson's flagship HMS Victory. Victory although kept in dry dock in Portsmouth naval base is still a serving ship in the British Navy.



Will explains "Having studying the ship's documents the Curator of HMS Victory realised that a 26' yawl had been part of the 1805 ship's complement of boats. In 2008 he determined to have a yawl built."



"Stirling and Son won the tender and built a yawl under MOD contract. The boat was built to a draught of 1797 from Greenwich Maritime Museum."



"She is built of full length planking copper and bronze fastened and is now on display in Portsmouth, alongside HMS Victory, the flagship of the Royal Navy."

If you're visiting England then it's really worthwhile to take the time to see HMS Victory (and her neighbouring historic ships Warrior and Mary Rose), and not least Will's fantastic yawl.




7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog , makes me feel like starting to build a boat as soon as possible.
    one of the best blogs so far ,
    well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell from just a few photos that this is a first class build. And what a wonderful setting... Stirling & Son are clearly at the forefront of the long awaited wooden boat revival in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. BoatParadise Classifieds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definetely a museum piece as a design,
    its a pleasure to simply look at it,
    "you are too good to be true , Cant take my eyes off you"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bursledon,
    Your place is valuable for me.

    vanntetting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bursledon,
    Usually I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, quite nice article.


    Andres
    Body by vi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one article alone shows off your excellent writing skills. I am very impressed with your views and interesting content. I hope you intend to continue writing more informational articles.

    ReplyDelete